Find Houses for Rent in Lake Charles, LA
Located west of Lafayette, this city in Calcasieu Parish is the fifth-largest in the state and one of the most important in the region of Acadiana. Families interested in homes for rent in Lake Charles will benefit from the community's prime location in southwestern Louisiana.
Important Facts About Lake Charles for New Renters
- The original settlement of Lake Charles was largely cut off from the rest of Louisiana by large forests to the north and the Atchafalaya Swamp in the east. From its inception, the community was a melting pot of ethnicities and religions.
- With both English and northeastern Americans in Lake Charles, the city was divided in its participation in the Civil War. However, young men from local families wound up fighting for the South despite the city's mixed feelings on slavery.
- While the city has been modernized over the years, many 19th- and early 20th-century houses made of pine and cypress remain standing. They act as living museums of the region's history in the lumber industry.
Useful Resources for New Lake Charles Residents
- The city library is managed by the Calcasieu Parish Public Library system, which provides many beneficial services to the community. It offers free computer classes to the public and early literacy courses for children between the ages of 2 and 8.
- The Lake Charles Police Department serves the community with experienced law enforcement that protects the quality of life for the city's residents. It uses social media to provide citizens with up-to-date information and news.
What to Do in Lake Charles
This city benefits from its rich cultural background in Louisiana history, serving as one of the most important areas of the state. Year-round activities such as fishing and hunting mean there's never a dull day in Lake Charles.