Find Houses for Rent in Lemont, IL
Lemont is a charming village located in Cook, DuPage and Will counties. It's approximately 45 minutes from the bustling city of Chicago. Homes for rent allow families to play 18 holes at Cog Hill Golf & Country Club, grab a beer or some grub at 3 Corners Grill & Tap, or pick up a few authentic items at Janet's Jewelry Emporium.
Facts for Renters
- The town's first settlers came to the area in 1833. The town was initially named Athens. The earliest townspeople began to develop the town by creating homes along the Illinois and Michigan Canal. The canals linked the Illinois River and Lake Michigan to the well-known Mississippi River.
- Because of the town's location near so many waterways, many of the initial settlers were contract holders or laborers nearby. Many of the settlers came from other countries such as Ireland and Scandinavia to escape political persecution.
- During the canal digging, the townspeople came upon a considerable amount of limestone. This discovery caused the development of stone quarries. Several buildings in the town and the surrounding area were built using this limestone. Prominent buildings such as Northwestern University and the Holy Name Cathedral were built using this stone.
- The canal and the quarries helped bring more people to the area and allowed Lemont to establish a name for itself. Today, the village is known for industries such as steel, chemicals and oil.
Resources for Renters
- Learn more about this small but historical village by taking a virtual trip on the Lemont website.
- Find out when the next bake sale or parent teacher conference is by visiting the Lemont-Bromberek District 113A website.
- Get the scoop on the weather for the week or just the top stories by checking out the local publication My Suburban Life.