Discover Houses for Rent in Texarkana, AR
Texarkana, as the name suggests, is a city that is a combination of Texas and Arkansas. The region, the cities individually and the collective municipal area are all referred to as Texarkana. The city itself has separate government offices than the Texas side, but operates largely as a half city. As an example, the Texarkana Regional Airport is on the Arkansas side, while the Dubluis Hospital of Texarkana is in Texas. Homes for rent in Texarkana, Ark. start off fairly rural in the east end of town before becoming more urban on gridded streets near the state border. Interstates 30 and 49 intersect with the city for quick access to Hope, Prescott and Louisiana.
Important Information for Future Renters
- Texarkana is the combination of Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana, although no part of the city borders Louisiana, which is about 30 miles south.
- Some say that the name Texarkana predates the city as the name of a steamboat on the Red River, which runs through the region. Others say it was a regional abbreviation that took on a life of its own. But railroads, not steamboats, were what made Texarkana the large city it is. It was the meeting place of the Cairo and Fulton Railroad and the Texas and Pacific Railroad.
Helpful Resources for Residents
- For Arkansas residents who are having trouble knowing which part of the city does what, a quick visit to Texarkana, Ark.'s website may help.
- The Texarkana Arkansas School District serves the children in the Arkansas side of town. The mascot, the Hogs, borrows its image from the state's beloved Razorbacks.
- The Texarkana Gazette makes any confusion about state line irrelevant as it covers Texas and Arkansas as well as southeastern Oklahoma and northwestern Louisiana.
Live in Texarkana
Texarkana gives families the opportunity to live in two cities for the price of one.